Friday, April 17, 2009

Looking for the horizon


Is horizon mattered? Or should one cares it at all? Saying says that the only rule in photography is that there is no rules.
This picture, taken with Canon 1Ds II and EF 35/1.4L, at a close distance for the young Russian model, Olga, demonstrates this subjective argument. Without question, the subject is clearly the model herself, when I get closer, I turned the camera so the frame of her body will stretch across the the picture area, without considering should I keep the camera horizontal. When I developed the raw file, I tried to see if leveling the horizon line will improve the impact of the image? Not at all.
Often times when photographers saw the picture came out from the film or nowadays the digital capture, attempt to correct the horizontal line. not all of the photographers, but lots of them. Some camera even has the electronic leveling aide, or sometimes with spirit level device. But should we care that much. Of course it depends, but it really matters when one thinks it mattered. As photographer, I always believe the first snap instance often resulted the best shot.

No comments: