Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Portrait

This is a shot made recently for one of my client in beauty and skin care clinic, we need a model with not just a beautiful face, but with a good inner spirit. Daniela, a mix of Brazilian and Japanese, became the face of the brand.
When choosing the lens to shoot, I was considering between either using the Zeiss Planar 80/2. or Apo-Makro-Planar 120/4 or the Planar 140/2.8, all excellent lenses to match the Phase One P45+ on Contax 645; and I settled with 140/2.8. The 140mm focal length will increase the sense of distance between the viewer and the model, adding a little more touch of beauty beyond touch, but also adds a little mystery. on the contrary, choosing a sorter focal length, for example 80mm, will make the model more friendly, more within reach. So why 140mm?
Reason one is I have already shot one Caucasian model, Jenna from Canada, last year that I was using the shorter length approach, and almost one year later, I want to introduce a different feels. Second, the beauty of Daniela looks to me to be naturally more reachable, so I can afford using a longer focal length. And I think I got what I want.

No comments: